Waterfowl Conservation


The North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA), passed in 1989, provides matching grants to carry out wetlands conservation projects in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. WATERFOWL STAMP: Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps were established in 1934 and have provided conservation funding to six million acres of waterfowl habitat across the United States. The stamp’s price was raised in 1991 to $15, and in 2014 was raised to $25 with the passage of the Federal Duck Stamp Act. E-DUCK STAMP: Electronic duck stamps are convenient because they can be purchased from a personal computer as opposed to a brick-and-mortar distributor. Following a successful pilot program, support for electronic duck stamps has grown. In 2014, the Permanent Electronic Duck Stamp passed, authorizing states to sell duck stamps online.

North American Wetlands Conservation Act


Enacted in 1989 to support the North American Waterfowl Management Plan through cost-sharing, the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) provides partnership and challenge grants for conservation projects. The program requires every federal dollar provided through NAWCA to be matched by one dollar from non-federal sources; the program is often matched 3 to 1 by non-federal funding. Grants encourage public-private partnerships to restore wetlands, enhance water availability, reduce soil erosion, and often improve recreational opportunities. With $4.4 billion in grants and matching funds, NAWCA has partnered with over 5,500 landowners, industries, and state and local governments, provided funding for 2,600 projects in 33.4 million acres across all 50 states, and supported 7,500 workers.

Recent Activity

The North American Wetlands Conservation Extension Act introduced by Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) Member Representatives Mike Thompson (CA) and Rob Wittman (VA) in the House (H.R. 925) and in the Senate (S. 261) by CSC Members Senator Martin Heinrich (NM), John Kennedy (LA), Bill Cassidy (LA), and Tom Carper (DE). The North American Wetlands Conservation Enhancement Act was reauthorized as part of the America’s Conservation Enhancement at $60 million annually for a period of five years. The Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation will work to see that NAWCA is appropriated the full $60 million.

Waterfowl Stamp

Federal duck stamps are annual permits sold to hunt migratory birds and allow entrance to National Wildlife Refuges. Revenues are deposited in the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund and later spent to secure wetlands for the National Wildlife Refuge System. Nearly $1 billion has been collected since the federal duck stamp was first required in 1934. The Federal Duck Stamp Office reports that 98% of revenues from stamps are deposited in the Fund with the remaining 2% used to print and distribute stamps.

Beginning at a price of $1 in 1934, the cost of the federal duck stamp was increased in 1991 to $15, and increased again to $25 in 2014.

E-Duck Stamp

Since 1934, every hunter over the age of 16 has been required to purchase a federal duck stamp in order to hunt migratory waterfowl. The Electronic Duck Stamp Act of 2006 directed the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a pilot program for electronic Federal migratory bird hunting stamps that can be purchased from a personal computer. In December 2014, legislation sponsored by CSC leadership was passed and signed into law. The legislation allows the Department of Interior to authorize states to sell duck stamps online which can be used immediately after purchase, avoiding an unnecessary trip to the Post Office or sporting goods store.

View All policy

Back TO All

In Season


Stay current with the latest news, policy activity and how to get involved.

Sign up for Newsletters

Tracking The Capitols

Receive latest legislation and regulation changes.

Sign up for Legislative Alerts