June 6-14, 2020 is National Fishing & Boating Week (NFBW). NFBW occurs every year to recognize the importance of recreational fishing and boating as some of our favorite outdoor pursuits. NFBW commemorates the value that recreational boating and fishing brings to communities, the economy, and conservation. During NFBW all states provide free fishing days – some offer free fishing weekends - to encourage people to pursue fishing on public waters without a fishing license requirement.
Below are links to each state agency’s website for more information on how to obtain a fishing license beyond the free fishing opportunities during NFBW.
Your opinion counts
Recently, Virginia has proposed legislation that would make the punishment for poaching, in their state, a 1-5 year prison sentence through HB-449. Poaching undermines the social acceptance of hunters, jobs, recreation, local and state economies, and conservation efforts. How should poachers be punished?Vote Here
- By sentencing them to jail time. (31.43%)
- By giving them a cash fine. (17.14%)
- By banning their hunting and fishing privileges and their ability to buy the necessary licenses. (14.29%)
- By putting them on a probation period. (0.00%)
- There should be some discretion in the penalties depending on the motivations for the poaching incident. (37.14%)