Why it Matters: To date, the Pittman-Robertson Act has generated over $15 billion in critical funding to conserve wildlife, improve recreational shooting and hunting access, fund hunting education programs, and support other programs that are vital to our hunting and recreational shooting heritage. Building on this foundation, the Tax Stamp Revenue Transfer for Wildlife and Recreation Act will provide a significant increase to Pittman-Robertson funds to bolster opportunities for sportsmen and women.
- Last week, Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) Member Rep. Blake Moore and CSC Vice Chair Rep. Jared Golden introduced H.R. 6352, the Tax Stamp Revenue Transfer for Wildlife and Recreation Act.
- This bipartisan bill will provide a significant plus up to Pittman-Robertson funds that are the lifeblood of state wildlife agencies and provide the bulk of funding to improve access for target shooters and hunters.
- This legislation is strongly supported by the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF), and CSF will be working to see this legislation move through the legislative process.
Last Thursday, CSC Member Rep. Moore and CSC Vice Chair Rep. Jarden Golden introduced the bipartisan Tax Stamp Revenue Transfer for Wildlife and Recreation Act.
This legislation will bolster Pittman-Robertson Funds by redirecting a portion of the $200 Form 4 tax stamp that is required by all applicants when purchasing a firearm suppressor. Currently, the $200 tax stamp revenue is deposited into the general U.S. Treasury without any specific allocation. It is estimated that the revenues from the Form 4 tax stamp will approach nearly $200 million this year alone. This legislation will allocate 85% of the Form 4 tax stamp money to the Pittman-Robertson fund to improve access for sportsmen and women and to enhance wildlife habitat. The remaining 15% of the Form 4 stamp money will be allocated to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives for the purposes of expediting the processing of firearm suppressor purchases.
Enacted in 1937 at the request of hunters and the manufacturers of firearms and ammunition, the Pittman-Robertson Act directs industry and user-supported excise taxes on firearms, ammunition, and archery equipment to be used for wildlife conservation purposes and programs to increase access for hunting and target shooting. The Pittman-Robertson Act is one of three pillars of the American System of Conservation Funding, a “user pays–public benefits” structure that is unique to the rest of the world, in which those that consumptively use public resources pay for the privilege, and in some cases the right, to do so.
“The Tax Stamp Revenue Transfer for Wildlife and Recreation Act will provide a significant plus up to the Pittman-Robertson account for the purposes of bolstering recreational shooting opportunities and enhancing wildlife conservation. Moreover, the legislation will provide ATF with the resources they need to process firearm suppressor applications in a timely manner. We are thankful for Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) Member Rep. Moore and CSC Vice Chair Rep. Golden for introducing this legislation that will support our hunters, target shooters, and our state fish and wildlife agencies through expanding Pittman-Robertson,” said Jeff Crane, President and CEO of CSF.