- The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) is accepting public comment on proposed amendments to hunting and fishing regulations.
- The public has the opportunity to weigh in on the proposed regulation changes either by attending a public meeting or through the submission of written comments.
Why It Matters: Public engagement on proposed rule amendments is critical to the rulemaking process. Fish and wildlife are public trust resources, and the KDFWR stewards these resources on behalf of the citizens of the Commonwealth through science-based decision making.
Among others, the proposed amendments include:
- Various changes to cervid carcass parts importation, possession, and transportation rules related to Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
- Removing crossbow as a prohibited method of take for hunting migratory game birds and migratory waterfowl
- Reducing the bag limit for spring turkey season to one (1) legal turkey per Wildlife Management Area
- Various updates to the bear zones and bear hunting seasons
Last year CWD was detected near the Kentucky border in Tennessee, and the KDFWR consequently activated its CWD Response Plan. Additional information about CWD preventative measures in Kentucky can be accessed here.
Tackling CWD has been a priority for the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF) at the state and federal levels for many years. CSF has supported state regulations that strengthened cervid import rules to try to prevent CWD from moving into another state, and CSF has also advocated for increased state funding to support state wildlife managers in their implementation of CWD response plans. Additionally, CSF has been a staunch advocate for the passage of the Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act.
Moreover, the Kentucky Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus and CSF played a leading role in the expansion of crossbow allowances in Kentucky that significantly expanded access and opportunity for youth and adult hunters. Youth crossbow season is fully concurrent with the vertical archery season, and adult crossbow season comprises all but the first two weeks of vertical archery season.
A public hearing will be held on August 24 at the KDFWR Administration Building in Frankfort. The deadline to submit comments is August 31. Comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.